Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Sunday 14 March 2010

Brighton Pub Licensee

This is the start of a new commission to paint John Woodruff, the licensee of the Swan in Falmer, near Brighton. I started drawing him a couple of weeks ago and despite being supplied with a lot of lovely photos of him outdoors and at various events, I had to pick the best pose of him and put him behind his bar. I think he looks like he belongs there despite being cobbled together! After applying three layers of Gesso primer to a board I started to paint blocks of blacks and browns before adding ochre and red to the top left corner and working across. Then my arm started aching so I put a splodge of green on my palette and worked on the bottom of the board for a while. I concentrated on the detail a bit more before painting a rough wash on John himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment