Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Monday 30 July 2012

Tollie and Bonnie - dog portrait in pastel














These two are now complete along with a hint of St. Cuthbert's cave in the background which I used to my advantage: I placed the lighter rock behind the Rottweiler/lurcher's dark head and the blackness of the cave opening behind the collie with the lighter fur. I used the shadow in the rock to contrast the lighter reflections on the top of Tolley's head so the background has served to enhance both dogs. The amount of pastel dust built up on the surfaces of my studio with this one has been epic and I'm desperate to get it framed so there's no chance of it smudging. I'm pleased with it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment