Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Thursday 19 July 2012

Jack Russell Border Terrier Cross



















This little chap is called Junior, he's a jack russell border terrier cross and is very playful. I had a number of photos to choose from and his owner wanted me to include his favourite blue ball which he rests his paw on - cute! The sandy golden background was painted first on a box canvas size 16x20". When it was dry I sketched his shape. I did a number of sketches prior to this to get the composition to work. Next I blocked in the main areas of white and brown and got a bit carried away with the shading as I had some paints left on my palette from a previous commission so forgot to take photos of those stages. So here we are in the first picture with a floating dog! I set about painting a few shadows on his coat and also around him. Next, his eyes got the detail treatment and highlights and shadows were painted in. I used blue and purple on his white bits and warmer browns in the shadows. I also painted the edges of this box canvas dark brown which you can't see in the photo but kind of frames it.

No comments:

Post a Comment