Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Sunday 4 March 2012

George the Jack Russell


















This is George, a cute and lively looking jack russell painted in pastel on A4 pastel paper. I sketched his face and front paws in portrait format and applied the first white layer of pastel. Then I worked from the top left downwards with black to avoid smudging and worked some of the shadows into the white of his coat. I added shadows underneath his paws to 'ground' him and layered purple and brown into the black areas of his coat to make it denser. Finally I tightened up on detail adding white flecks around his eyes with a very sharp pastel pencil, balancing the shadows and putting that little sparkle of life into his eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment