Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Wednesday 10 December 2014

Mwinga - oil portrait
















This posthumous portrait of Mwinga has been commissioned by his friend pictured in the photo. It is a present to Mwinga's family - a really touching gift - and I have been working on it over the past few months as it is an oil on A3 size canvas. The stages of the painting started with the drawing which I pieced together in Photoshop from a number of different photos to get the pose and expression right. After sketching it onto the canvas I fixed the pencil in place with a light wash of yellow ochre acrylic paint. Next I blocked in the main areas of colour - whites, browns and blacks - adding crimson and raw umber to the lips and eyes respectively. Next, glazes of umbers, ochres, siennas and Paynes grey have been painted on and worked into to create depth in the skin tones. It is not finished yet (shapes and tones need working on) but latterly I have been painting the kind smile in Mwinga's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment