Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Wednesday 17 December 2014

Margo - a pastel portrait just in time for Christmas!


This is a cheeky little pastel portrait just in time for Christmas! It is A4 in size and is in soft pastel on grey Daler Rowney Ingres Pastel Paper, chosen to highlight the light and darker areas of the dog. I marked out the main areas of white, then added brown and ginger colours and blended it all together. Next I worked into the dark areas with black and a variety of browns and greys taking care to smudge the pastel into the lighter areas where texture was needed, but not overlapping into areas around the eyes and nose. I roughly marked in some background shapes using brown, black, yellows and greys and merged them too. With the base layers in place I was able to paint in more detail, firstly to the background foliage and then to the coat. I flicked white across from the highlights on the legs into the background to convey wet fur and finally added a few white hairs around Margo's eyes as the owner wanted her to look a little older. She looks ready to pounce!

No comments:

Post a Comment