Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Wednesday 8 August 2012

Family Portrait - Three Siblings

I have been working on the commission of three portraits (as well as a few others) and have been asked to put up a few more of the stages in between to show more of the process so here goes... Following on from the last entry, Nicola has undergone a radical transformation from eyeless and flat to pretty much finished: first I concentrated on painting more colour, this is built up in glazes of different colours of acrylic applied thinly and left to dry before the next glaze is applied. Then I looked at darkening the shadows and lightening the highlights to improve tonal values. This left the painting looking stark so warmer colours were introduced which gave Nicola a jaundiced/fake tan sort of look! In the top two pictures I paid attention to the shadows and highlights again, adding pinks, greens, blues and oranges to counteract the yellow and brighten the shadows. I put in more detail and layers into the hair and tweaked the shapes of her features as they had migrated a bit and her nose wasn't strong enough. A little more tweaking may be needed tomorrow when I have a fresh pair of eyes but she's nearly there. The next entries will be of her siblings but I won't include so many steps. I hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment