Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Sunday 6 March 2011

Two happy spaniels














These two little cheeky chaps are coming on but the changes are not so startling as I build up layers of paint. You could play spot the difference if you like or I could just give a quick overview of the work completed at this stage! The background was worked on again which meant covering some detail on the dogs in order to get an even blend of blue without a strange halo around their heads. I put more detail into the grass adding different shades of green, yellow ochre, burnt umber, grey, blue and white. Then I worked on the black dog's fur, adding highlights in different shades of grey, blue and brown, then knocking it back by overpainting dark browns, greys and blacks. I've realised I've got his right eye in the wrong place - I can't see it on the photo so I'm having to guess based on other pictures, but it was going dark in my studio and when I came back to the painting the next day I decided to work on the other dog. Here you can probably see more of how the coat goes through layers of colour changes: pinks, oranges, creams, yellows, browns and greys are added then knocked back with white shades. Finally I worked on their pink tongues and it was dark in my studio again!

No comments:

Post a Comment