Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Wednesday 16 July 2014

Sidney








My latest pastel portrait is of a very sleepy dog called Sidney. I did a portrait of another sleepy dog of theirs called Daisy and they have come back again, this time wanting a special birthday gift. I sketched the basics onto an A4 sized grey Velour Pastel Paper then picked a white pastel to block in the shine on his coat. I used oranges and browns to block in other areas of colour especially on his ginger fringe which apparently is his main feature! I worked on the picture with other brown pastels, picking out subtle shade changes, and then put black into the shadow areas. The final picture in the series is a bit of a leap as lots of details have been put in including the eyes, with pastel pencils. Shades of green and blue have been added to enhance the red/orange hues and finally a hint of the sofa Sidney is snoozing on is hinted at! It's a dogs' life...

No comments:

Post a Comment