Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Monday 23 June 2014

Three Golden Retrievers



































































This latest commission is of three Golden Retrievers: Georgie on the left, Walton in the middle and Wilson on the right. It is to be undertaken with pastel on size 18 x 24" Canson MiTientes Pastel Paper. The first stage was to sketch the dogs onto the paper, I moved Wilson further in to make a more balanced composition and, once I had a likeness, set about putting white pastel into the main areas of light. Next, I took a dark brown pastel and blocked in the main areas of dark, blending the pastel as I worked into the tooth of the paper but trying not to blur the edges too much. After establishing the darkest and lightest areas, the next stage is colour. I used a warm yellow and terracotta pastels to block in the main areas as I can see them, working from left to right and placing marks in the direction of the fur, which gets pretty curly on Wilson! In the latest stage I put some cool colours into the shadows which has the effect of warming up the golds. I chose green and a blue/grey and smudged it all in. That's the base layer done, now for the details...

No comments:

Post a Comment