Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Sunday 21 April 2013

Charleston Painted Furniture Workshop









I have just enjoyed an amazing Painted Furniture Masterclass at Charleston farmhouse this Saturday and in just one day turned an old wooden cabinet into something unique-shabby-chic under the excellent tutelage of artist Sophie Coryndon! The day was a birthday gift and started at 10am sharing coffee and croissants with the other seven attendants on the workshop. After instruction on preparation of your chosen piece of furniture and a demo on how to achieve a crackle glaze, we all started work applying a base coat with our chosen Farrow & Ball paint. I chosen Charleston Grey (naturally) followed by a coating of paste. We left our pieces to dry in the sunshine (yes we enjoyed that too!) while we took a guided tour around the farmhouse, sketchbook and pencil in hand. Inspired by the art and creativity of Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant's artwork, as well as works by Picasso, Sickert and Renoir, we returned to apply our crackle glaze. A beautiful artisan lunch had been set out for us in the garden with homemade vegetarian soup, bread, cheese, meats and salads. We swatted the midges and got to know each other a bit before returning to the workshop for some serious design and painting. I say 'serious' because silence descended as we all got absorbed in our creative endeavours, broken only when tea and bakewell tart was served, which was delicious. A few more processes of sanding and glazing and my piece was ready to take home. I was so chuffed with what I'd learned about the processes that I can't wait to attack my kitchen units and am eyeing up other bits in my cottage with a threatening stare. The day was thoroughly enjoyable, helped also by the sunshine, but I would heartily recommend it to anyone wanting to try their hand at something a bit different - you don't have to be an artist, just go to be inspired and have a go. Check out http://www.charleston.org.uk/products-page/workshops/. There were some wonderful finished pieces, all uniquely different, all had transformed an old piece of wood into something rather beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment