Welcome to my pet and family portrait blog. If you have commissioned a portrait you can see how it is progressing. If you would like to commission me to paint your pet, family or friend then visit my site at www.katetugwellportraits.com
Fancy learning how to draw and paint? See my art classes website at www.katesartclasses.com


Wednesday 5 September 2012

Busman's Holiday?



This time last week we were away in Wales, braving the Great British weather for a few days break (should've chosen this week!) and while I was there decided to seek out a day at an art studio so I could 'play'! I don't get much chance with all the commissions and art classes on at the moment, plus an imminent house move, to just get creative and experiment. So I contacted Lindsay at Studio Llwyndrain and arranged to spend the day at his studio in a beautiful setting near the Preseli Hills. These two pictures are the result of a few hours mucking about, trying new techniques and mediums. In the morning I was let loose with kid's watercolour paints, acrylic medium and tissue paper to create texture and some wildly bright colours to throw about! I'm used to painting in such a precise way that it was fun to create something much looser and impressionistic of the coastal landscape around. After a delicious lunch of home-made bread and soup and a chat with the other arty customers, I turned my hand to oils - a medium that I have little experience with. I studied photos I'd taken on a walk around Dale Head the previous day and after trying out a number of different techniques and brushes, I decided the angles and solidity of the rocks leant themselves to paint application with a palette knife, scraping back some areas to create interesting texture. I was quite pleased with the results, given the limited amount of time I'd given myself, and I would thoroughly recommend visiting this delightful art space. It is light and airy, well-equipped for use of all sorts of mediums from drawing to mixed media, oils and watercolours to print-making with bags of helpful tuition and yummy home-made grub to fuel your creativity. You can also stay there - check out http://www.artholidayspembrokeshire.co.uk for more details. Right, now back to business...!

No comments:

Post a Comment